Export OmegaT project to an HTML table

A few years ago I wrote a script that exported the whole OmegaT to an HTML table. I used it a lot myself, and I know quite a few other people found it helpful too. The problem with the table produced by that script was that it had no way to show repeated or alternatively translated segments. I’ve rewritten the script since, but never published an announcement about that new version. Now I did a few more changes, and thought that it’s about time to fix that omission.

Continue reading

OmegaT Live preview (based on LibreOffice)

Below you’ll find a quick and dirty live preview solution for OmegaT on GNU/Linux.

In order for it to work, you’ll need any command line converter to convert your target files to PDF, and any PDF viewer to view the converted file. In the solution provided here Zathura PDF viewer is used. It is a very lightweight, keyboard-driven (albeit with vi-like keybindings) application that can invert document colors using a custom color scheme, and, most importantly, it reloads documents as they are changed, but keeps the previously open position, which makes it ideal for live previewing. Target files are converted using LibreOffice since I had it installed anyway; but any other command line tool that converts to PDF would do.

Continue reading

Merging and Splitting Segments in #OmegaT without editing segmentation rules.

One of the complaints OmegaT gets is the impossibility to split and merge segments without editing projects’ or global segmentation rules.  There were a few attempts to address the issue, but they required a third-party utility that would edit segmentation.conf. One of the most recent attempts was Dimitry Prihodko’s Merge utility (don’t bother to download it, it won’t work as expected, just read on). If I understood it right, Dimitry asked Yu Tang to rework his thingy, and Yu Tang came up with a Groovy script that did all the merging using only OmegaT internals. It wasn’t limited to any OS or dependent on other tools (so much for hard Pascal coding, Dimitry). There was only a minor issue that the script couldn’t be used to split segments. And that’s what I’ve added and what I’m sharing here. Continue reading

Clickable links in OmegaT# notes and comments

Here’s a GitHub project for an OmegaT plugin that converts URL’s in notes and comments into clickable items that open the URL’s in the default browser. Pretty neat, especially when you’re working in a team project and need to insert references for the editor or another translator.

Clickable links example

In order to install the plugin one needs to create a folder named LinkBuilder (or whatever sounds good and preferably makes sense) inside plugins subfolder either in the OmegaT installation folder, or in OmegaT settings folder, download the latest release, and unzip it into the newly created LinkBuilder folder. The plugin will be activated upon OmegaT restart (or in a new OmegaT instance).

I don’t know who the author of the plugin is (other than his username at GitHub is hiohiohio), but kudos anyway!!!

Major update to #OmegaT QA Script

Sometime ago my monkey approach to programming led me to creating a GUI for QA rules checking script. That was fun, the result was sometimes even usable, but since I don’t really know how to program, I got stuck with developing it. Ok, a rule or two was added now and then, but that doesn’t really count. But then all of a sudden the spellcheck script in OmegaT got drastically improved, and that meant I could mimic some new ideas. That’s exactly what I did, and here’s the new “QA – Check Rules” script:

Image

Continue reading

“Filtered” Note Export in #OmegaT

This script is variation of the one published before that exports all notes in the current project. The only difference is that this one allows you to select which notes will get exported based on the first line of the note. The resultant HTML table will consist of four columns: Source, Target, Filtered Notes (adjustable heading name), and Reply.
Say, you want to be able to export only the notes that start with <query>, as you’ve been using this word (<query>) to mark your questions to the client. In order to do so, go to line 14 and specify which mark-word was used. Note: The mark-word used to filter notes should be found in the very beginning of the very first line of the note, otherwise it’ll be ignored. In line 15 you can specify the column heading.

All project notes

All project notes

Only filtered notes

Only filtered notes

Continue reading

Export #OmegaT Project Notes

Here’s a new script that lets you export OmegaT project notes to a HTML table. It may help you to discuss different translation issues with the client/editor/your spiritual guru or review your own translation if you use notes for yourself.

When the script is invoked, it will create a file named PROJECTNAME_notes.html in /script_output subfolder of the current project root (the subfolder will be created if it doesn’t exist, and PROJECTNAME is the actual name, of course).

Exported notes screenshot
Continue reading

XLIFF to TMX

One of the recent scripts published here allowed OmegaT users who wanted their project to be worked on in a different CAT tool, to export the whole OmegaT project to an XLIFF file. To get the completed work back to OmegaT, one had to run Okapi Rainbow to convert XLIFF to TMX, possibly using the Rainbow settings file created by the script.

In this post I’ll share how to convert those OmegaT-created XLIFF files finished (or partly finished) in Trados/MemoQ/Deja Vu/WhatNotCAT back to TMX that can be used in OmegaT (all tags preserved, of course, that was the whole point), right from within OmegaT, without running Rainbow manually. Continue reading