Export #OmegaT Project to Excel (UPDATE)

The earlier version of this script was described in this article. Here I’m announcing the update to the script which makes it possible to include:

  • Segment ID for each segment (applicable only for some file types)
  • Translator’s ID of the segment’s translation creator
  • Translator’s ID of the segment’s translation editor
  • Segment notes
  • Visual marks to show segments’ uniqueness or repetitions (grayish background, marks 1 or + in the dedicated column: for the first occurrence, or further instances of the repeated segment, respectfully)
  • Visual marks for alternative translations (different font color, mark a with a different background in the dedicated column)
  • Visual marks for untranslated segments (mark NT in the dedicated column)
  • Visual marks for paragraph boundaries (upper border over the source and target text which visually groups the text belonging to the same paragraph)

All of the above features are optional, though they are on by default. To disable or change them, editing the script is required, but all those lines are very easy to understand, they have comments, and are placed almost in the very beginning of the script:

Scripting window with the script options in focus

Unlike the earlier version, the script produces the tabular output:

Segment #Source TextTarget TextUniq/AlSegment IDCreatorChangerNote

The script can be downloaded from
SF.net repository
GitHub repository

Comments, suggestions, complains and donations are always welcome!

Happy spreadsheeting!

Export OmegaT project to an HTML table

A few years ago I wrote a script that exported the whole OmegaT to an HTML table. I used it a lot myself, and I know quite a few other people found it helpful too. The problem with the table produced by that script was that it had no way to show repeated or alternatively translated segments. I’ve rewritten the script since, but never published an announcement about that new version. Now I did a few more changes, and thought that it’s about time to fix that omission.

Continue reading

“Filtered” Note Export in #OmegaT

This script is variation of the one published before that exports all notes in the current project. The only difference is that this one allows you to select which notes will get exported based on the first line of the note. The resultant HTML table will consist of four columns: Source, Target, Filtered Notes (adjustable heading name), and Reply.
Say, you want to be able to export only the notes that start with <query>, as you’ve been using this word (<query>) to mark your questions to the client. In order to do so, go to line 14 and specify which mark-word was used. Note: The mark-word used to filter notes should be found in the very beginning of the very first line of the note, otherwise it’ll be ignored. In line 15 you can specify the column heading.

All project notes

All project notes

Only filtered notes

Only filtered notes

Continue reading

Export #OmegaT Project Notes

Here’s a new script that lets you export OmegaT project notes to a HTML table. It may help you to discuss different translation issues with the client/editor/your spiritual guru or review your own translation if you use notes for yourself.

When the script is invoked, it will create a file named PROJECTNAME_notes.html in /script_output subfolder of the current project root (the subfolder will be created if it doesn’t exist, and PROJECTNAME is the actual name, of course).

Exported notes screenshot
Continue reading

XLIFF to TMX

One of the recent scripts published here allowed OmegaT users who wanted their project to be worked on in a different CAT tool, to export the whole OmegaT project to an XLIFF file. To get the completed work back to OmegaT, one had to run Okapi Rainbow to convert XLIFF to TMX, possibly using the Rainbow settings file created by the script.

In this post I’ll share how to convert those OmegaT-created XLIFF files finished (or partly finished) in Trados/MemoQ/Deja Vu/WhatNotCAT back to TMX that can be used in OmegaT (all tags preserved, of course, that was the whole point), right from within OmegaT, without running Rainbow manually. Continue reading

Convert OmegaT project to XLIFF for other CAT tools

I’m back with another little script that might be pretty handy for those who need to work on the same material in different CAT tools, or for translation agencies who use OmegaT as their main CAT application but farm out the work to translators using their CAT tools of choice. As a matter of fact, the script was requested by translation agency Velior for this very reason.
When the script is invoked, it writes out a file named PROJECTNAME.xlf (PROJECTNAME is the actual name of the project, not this loudly yelled word, of course), and the file is located in script_output subfolder of the current project. It exports both translated (they get “final” state in the resultant XLF file) and untranslated segments, and for untranslated segments the source is copied to the target, and such segments get “needs-translation” state. OmegaT segmentation and tags are preserved. Tags get enveloped in <ph id=”x”> and </ph>, so that they are treated as tags in other CAT tools. Continue reading

Export OmegaT Project to HTML table

Here’s a script that lets you export your whole OmegaT project into an HTML file with one or more tables, one for each source file. The left column will have source segments, and the right will be either blank if the segment isn’t translated, or populated with translation (or , if translation was set to be empty). Each table will have source file name for its heading. The script was requested and kindly sponsored by Roman Mironov at Translation Agency Velior. As usual, in the below listing the heading is a link to pastebin.com where you can download this script. Continue reading